J. Derek Williams
775 Geneva Road, Canton GA 30114 email@example.com, 404-981-7146
A software engineer with over 28 years experience developing mission-critical software systems. This includes 21 years using object-oriented analysis, architecture, design, and programming in C++, Smalltalk, Java, and C#, preceded by 7 years using structured techniques with C and assembly. A strong communicator, experienced architect, advanced DBA, and technical leader who is consistently rated a top performer.
- Primary: Java, Smalltalk, C, C#, C++
Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris
DB2, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft Access, Sybase
- Servlets, JSPs, Spring MVC, ASP .NET, PHP, Rails, Seaside, GWT, jQuery
- Web services, WebSphere MQ, SOAP/XML, REST/JSON
- Tomcat, Apache, WebSphere
- Analysis and Design: Visio, Enterprise Architect, Rational
- Source Control and Build: CVS, Git, Subversion, RCS, ENVY, Store, Maven, Make, Ant, NAnt
- IDEs: Eclipse and MyEclipse, Visual Studio, WebSphere AD, VisualAge, NetBeans, VisualWorks
- NSA 4011 Information Assurance – December 2009
- IBM DB2 Advanced Database Administration for Linux, Unix, and Windows – January 2007
- NACHA Accredited ACH Professional (AAP) – November 2004
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) – September 2004
- Windows, Unix, and Web application design and development.
- Agile methods (particularly Scrum) and test-driven development with xUnits.
- Financial applications, particularly payments, ACH, exceptions, and remittance processing systems.
- Object-oriented analysis and design – UML, Booch, Jacobson, Rumbaugh, and prior methods.
- Relational databases, SQL, entity/relationship modeling, design, tuning, and administration.
- ORM frameworks, including Hibernate, ActiveRecord, TopLink, and proprietary tools.
- Standards-based graphical user interface design.
- Parallel programming, multi-process and multi-threaded systems.
- Real-time and time-critical systems.
- Data communication, including TCP/IP, APPC / LU6.2, NetBios, and async.
- Articles in IDUG (DB2) Solutions Journal, Smalltalk Report, OS/2 Developer, and IBM Personal Systems.
- Web sites and web applications for non-profit groups.
M.S. with Highest Honors in Applied Computer Science and Information Assurance – 2009
Columbus State University, Columbus, Georgia
Phi Kappa Phi
Graduate Courses in Computer Science – 1991 through 1992
University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC)
B.S. with High Honors in Information and Computer Science – 1987
Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), Atlanta, Georgia
Gamma Beta Phi, Briarean Society, and Cooperative Program
April 2007 to present
Senior Engineering Architect
Fiserv Inc., Brookfield, Wisconsin
Designing, developing, and maintaining high-volume payment systems.
August 2006 to April 2007
Senior Software Engineer
Software Earnings, Memphis, Tennessee
Developed payment applications with C++ and Qt, and served as the company’s DB2 DBA.
January 2006 to August 2006
IBM Corporation, Tivoli Division, Lowell, Massachusetts
Developed telecommunication provisioning and analysis software for Solaris, Linux, and Oracle.
July 1996 to January 2006
Senior Advisory Software Engineer
Carreker Corporation, Dallas, Texas
Developed high-volume payment systems with VisualAge, Visual Studio, and DB2.
July 2003 to March 2006
Founder, Architect, and Lead Developer
Payment Horizons (part-time research and contract venture), Canton, Georgia
Developed payment processing applications using C#, ASP.NET, Java, PHP, and MySQL.
August 1993 to July 1996
Senior Software Engineer
HBO & Company, Atlanta, Georgia
Developed healthcare applications using VisualWorks Smalltalk, C/C++, and Sybase.
April 1993 to August 1993
Software and Systems Engineer
Hazlehurst & Associates, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
Developed and supported applications in C/C++ and DB2 for 401(k) processing.
January 1988 to April 1993
IBM Corporation, Financial Services Industries, Charlotte, North Carolina
Developed and maintained system and application products for bank check/image processing.
1984 to 1988
Student Engineer and Contract Programmer
Lanier Business Products, Atlanta, Georgia and Sales Technologies, Atlanta, Georgia
Developed and maintained PC and Unix program products for office automation.